31 december 2010

Of Women and Men in 2010

Last day of the year. And last post of the year.
Just to let you know that the sixteen tracks on this compilation are probably the ones I listened to the most this year. I made a ranking of my ten favourite CDs and added some excellent album tracks to get to the usual number of sixteen.
And by looking at the list I realise that I should perhaps stop mentioning jazz or funk. The comp has become an eclectic mix: rock (Ray Lamontagne), jazz (José James, New Cool Collective Big Band), electronic pop (Yeasayer, Styrofoam, Caribou) but mostly soul (Plan B, Solomon Burke, Sade, Ben l'oncle soul) and rap (Gil Scott-Heron, Kanye West, Fun Lovin' Criminals, Quincy Jones).

The most intriguing albums are the ones that try stretching boundaries, that try mixing genres, that challenge creativity... Therefor the ones that hardly ever left my CD player are GorillazKanye West and New Cool Collective. The most impressive albums though are "I'm New Here" by the legendary Gil Scott-Heron and "Blackmagic" by vocal wizard José James.
But do doubt my opinion if you want to. You can tell me which albums are absolute rubbish to you, and which ones are missing in my list. I even invite you to do so, and go to the comments.
But if you happen to have the same taste as I do, please go to the poll (on the right) and vote for your favourites.

Enjoy the music, and have a marvellous holiday season.

V.A. - Of Women and Men in 2010 (a BoBW jazz funk compilation)
01. Repo Man - Ray LaMontagne (God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise) / 6:09
02. Writing's On The Wall - Plan B (The Defamation Of Strickland Banks) / 3:43
03. You're Not Alone - Solomon Burke (Nothing's Impossible) / 4:03
04. L'ombre d'un homme - Ben l'oncle soul (Ben l'oncle soul) / 4:46
05. Code - José James (Blackmagic) / 4:55
06. Babyfather - Sade (Soldier Of Love) / 4:40
07. Your Soul And Mine - Gil Scott-Heron (I'm New Here) / 2:02
08. Welcome To The World Of The Plastic Beach (ft. Snoop Dogg & Hypnotic Brass Ensemble) - Gorillaz (Plastic Beach) / 3:36
09. Gorgeous (ft. KiD CuDi & Raekwon) - Kanye West (My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy) / 5:58
10. Pasmo - New Cool Collective Big Band  (Pachinko) / 4:58
11. Soul Bossa Nostra (ft. Ludacris, Naturally 7 & Rudy Currence) - Quincy Jones (Q: Soul Bossa Nostra) / 4:09
12. Classic Fantastic - Fun Lovin' Criminals  (Classic Fantastic) / 4:31
13. Baby Can't Stop (Idjut Boys Remix) - Lindstrøm & Christabelle (Real Life Is No Cool) / 7:33
14. Carolyn - Styrofoam (Disco synthesizers & daily tranquilizers) / 4:29
15. Odessa - Caribou (Swim) / 5:16
16. One - Yeasayer (Odd Blood) / 5:26
h**p://www.flameupload.com/files/P8QNOQPW/BoBW_Of_Women_and_Men_in_2010.zip

If you click on the name of the artist, you'll be directed to the artist's page. But I can not garantee that all links on those pages are working...

For the 2009 Compilation: Mine of 09
For the 2008 Compilation: The Freight of 08
For the 2007 Compilation: The Sound of 07

My other weblogs:

 Every Picture tells a Story: drawings and sketches, with stories (in Dutch) about everyday matters
 Heart on my sleeve: about fictitious album sleeves. (Yes, fake CD covers!)

A comment would be appreciated. So do share your thoughts!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Een reactie posten

<< Home